First step to start with coding in Salesforce.com is to install the force.com IDE in Eclipse. I will target the new version of eclipse which is Kepler. Force.com IDE is supported in Eclipse Juno as well as Eclipse Kepler.
So, we will start with launching the Eclipse.
then goto Help -> Software Update / Install new software…
Then Add Force.com site.
- Click “Add Site”. The Add Site dialog opens.
- Set the Name to “Force.com IDE” and the Location to “http://media.developerforce.com/force-ide/eclipse42“, then click “OK.”
After you add the site, you will get the list of all available plugins, click on force.com and then click Next.
In the Install dialog, click “Next” then accept the terms and click.
follow the instructions and IDE will be installed.
After Installation, Create new Project of type Force.com.
- Salesforce UserName
- Salesforce Password
- Salesforce Security Token
How to update Force.com IDE ?
Salesforce releases new feature almost three times a year like Winter, Spring and Summer release. So at those time, API version also gets changed. If you will not update your force.com IDE, you will always end up with creating Apex and other resources in Old version. So it is always recommended to update existing installation of force.com IDE. To update IDE you have to follow below steps :
- Open Force.com IDE and Navigate to Help | Show Force.com Start Page.
- On Upper right hand corner of new Window, there will be link to update IDE.
Please leave your comments about this article so that i can answer.